Thursday, October 19, 2006

October 06 Update

Dear Supporters,

Here is the website that explains my training in Colorado: www.mti.org/splice.htm

Well I am almost done raising support! I am currently at 95% in total support. I need about $175 in monthly support and hope to have it in the next few weeks so I can buy my plan ticket to Africa and give you a definite departure date.

I am leaving October 30th for Colorado Springs for three weeks of cross-cultural training and will return November 17th. This training will prepare me for the struggles and difficulties of living in a cross-cultural context. I will be taught how to care for myself emotionally and spiritually and learn how to handle trials in light of doing ministry. After this training, I will be home for Thanksgiving and hopefully leave the week or two after.

The reason I am taking time now to do ministry is so I can discern whether I should go to seminary, and learn about/test possible gifts in ministry. The Lord has been active in this area of my life. While doing my internship at St. Jude, I became somewhat interested in the whole idea of doing something in healthcare as a profession when I come back from Ethiopia. This was a challenge to my call to seminary. I realize that there is a lot of time between now and then, but also want to be a steward of that time.

I have felt, however, a continued call to seminary for a number of years. After spending a few months thinking and praying about it, I feel strongly that the Lord is still calling me to pursue seminary when I get back. I would pursue a masters in divinity and possible a masters in counseling. I trust the Lord will further work out this calling while I serve in Africa. I am thankful that the Lord and I have wrestled through this before I depart because this knowledge will be helpful in guiding my interests in the work in Ethiopia. Hopefully, knowing this background will help you understand why I took this step to serve in Africa.

There are two ways to best keep up with me while I am overseas. The first is my blog site, which is jimplunk.blogspot.com. I will try to update that at least once a week as an interactive online journal. The other is Skype, which is an instant messenger that can also be used for making phone calls. My account name is jimplunk. I will try to set up regular times that I will be on it to talk. When I get there I will also send you my mailing address. I will remind you of my contact information as my departure gets closer. Thanks for your support and prayers.


Prayer Requests:

1. Confirmation of calling to Ethiopia in the midst of hard transition with leaving friends and family.
2. That the Lord would already be working to prepare the team and I for my arrival and a work that I can do.
3. Fellowship with other believers in Ethiopia and especially a male accountability partner for encouragement.
4. Safe travel to/from training in Colorado.
5. Loose ends would come together with packing, getting immunizations, and me finishing my Evangelism Explosion training in the next month so I can be ready to leave when I get back from Colorado.

In Him,

Jim Plunk
jim.plunk@gmail.com
jimplunk.blogspot.com

Donations: MTW, P.O. Box 116284, Atlanta, GA 30368-6284
NOTE: Jim Plunk Account: 016125

Monthly Pledges: MTW, 1600 North Brown Road, Lawrenceville, GA. 30043-8141
NOTE: Jim Plunk Account: 016125

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home