Here is the new project website: www.ethiopiahiv.org
I have some important support news. I have about 65% of my money and need 80% to do cross-cultural training in Colorado from October 30th-November 17th. Completing this training will enable me to leave for the field by December if I have all my support. So, if you plan on making monthly pledges you should turn it in ASAP! In my original support letter I stated October 31st as my goal for support raising, and I would like to stick to that. My training in Colorado will be the last step before leaving. Right now, I have all my one-time and $1835 in monthly pledges out of $2500. Again, I hope to have all my support raised by October 31st and leave for Africa by December!
This last week I was at Living in Grace in North Carolina. Staff members from the Spiritual Life Department gave talks and testimonies about grace and how we can experience it through repentance. It was incredibly encouraging since I have been struggling with the idol of trying to control my future and be content with where I am. We were taught that we must bring our struggles before God in repentance and surrender, realize His love for us is infinite through the Cross and that he has a plan for us despite our temporary and circumstantial feelings. It was also nice to be with other missionaries to encourage one another as we raise support and realize that this is just a tough time for all of us.
After that week of training, I went to meet Andy (boss in Ethiopia) who is here for leadership training next week. We had a great time getting to know each other and were eventually joined by Dr. John and Jessica White, who are also coming to Ethiopia for two years.
My work has changed. I felt the Lord did not want me working asphalt so I am now working a few days a week at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. I shadow the nurse practitioners as they see patients who have AIDS. This has been perfect preparation. I’m also working part-time with my church youth group.
On a heavier note, Heather and I have come to the conclusion that the Lord does not desire us to continue dating at this point. It has nothing to do with my trip to Africa, but issues between us. We are striving to honor the Lord in this difficult time and realize he has a perfect plan amidst the pain and confusion.
1. That Heather and I would feel peace about our situation and would keep a solid friendship.
2. My monthly support would come in so I can go to Colorado on October 30th and to Ethiopia by December.
3. Lose ends would come together with packing, getting immunizations, and me finishing my Evangelism Explosion training in the next month so I can be ready to leave when I get back from Colorado.
4. Thanksgiving for being able to meet and talk with Andy and the Whites and for the spiritual blessing of last week at Living in Grace.
5. A continued call to serve in Ethiopia and the ability to rest and prepare during these last few months at home.
Donations: MTW, P.O. Box 116284, Atlanta, GA 30368-6284
NOTE: Jim Plunk Account: 016125
Monthly Pledges: MTW, 1600 North Brown Road, Lawrenceville, GA. 30043-8141
NOTE: Jim Plunk Account: 016125